The Department of Sociology has endowed funds and other sources to support graduate student research. We encourage students at all stages of the program to apply.
Allowable expenses include (but are not limited to):
- travel to research sites (transportation, lodging, etc.)
- the purchase of data
- costs associated with fielding a survey or experiment
- paying subjects
No funds from this mechanism shall be used to pay stipends or wages to graduate students. Requests for travel to professional conferences should be submitted as outlined in the graduate student travel policy.
We accepts proposals twice a year, on the third Monday of Autumn and Spring quarters. Recommendations for funding will be made by the department's executive committee. The total amount of available funding will vary from year to year, and final funding awards will be made by the chair.*
- Autumn Quarter: October 20, 2023
- Spring Quarter: April 10, 2024
Applications should include:
- Application Cover Page (Link Below)
- Proposal (3 pages total)
- Brief description of the research project and its significance (2 page max)
- Explanation of how funding will enhance the project
- Discussion of other funding sources available for this work, if any
- Evidence of the impact of any prior departmental award funding
- Timeline for completion
- Your curriculum vitae (CV)
- Scientific merit of the proposed research;
- Student's track record of completing coursework and research projects;
- Evidence that the funds will have a discernible impact on the quality of the research
We will let you know the status of your application by the sixth week of the quarter.