The Sociology Writing Center seeks to support analytical writing in our major and advance departmental learning goals. We believe that writing is an effective means to both: (1) promote understanding of the sociological perspective (appreciating how a variety of social phenomena affect individuals, groups, and institutions), and (2) develop and enhance analytical skills for assessing sociological arguments and applying them to empirical evidence.
We offer one-on-one tutoring services, which are open to all undergraduate students taking sociology courses. These appointments are assignment-focused, and are intended to help students at every stage of the writing process. In keeping with our departmental learning objectives, we do not provide editing and proofreading services. However, we may indicate problematic grammatical and stylistic patterns and refer students to online resources.
We know many things have changed recently and the Sociology Writing Center is here to help you navigate our new world. It’s possible that your online sociology classes may require more writing than normal - if that’s the case, please be in touch! Our center is now fully online and is here to assist with your sociology writing assignments in whatever way you may need, from brainstorming ideas to your tuning up your reference list.
Spring Quarter Online Hours:
Mondays, 9:00am - 2:00pm
Tuesdays, 1:00pm - 5:00pm
Wednesdays, 9:00am - 2:00pm, 4:00pm - 6:00pm
To schedule an appointment please visit calendly.com/writesoc or email firstname.lastname@example.org
This quarter we are offering three types of Writing Center appointments:
- Zoom Meetings - A one-on-one virtual meeting where we discuss your assignment, answer your questions, and review your writing.
- Email Consultation - Email us your paper and we will review your document, leave tracked changes, and send you summary comments.
- Google Doc Meetings - A live session in Google docs where you can watch the editing process and use the app’s chat feature to talk about your assignment.
Preparing for your Appointment
- To schedule an appointment, email email@example.com.
- Fill out the Sociology Writing Center Appointment Info questionnaire (we will send you an email link too).
- 24-hours before your appointment, email your assignment and assignment instruction to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other UW Writing Centers
During the academic year, there are numerous writing resources available on campus, including the following centers:
Resources for UW Sociology Undergraduates
- Apply Sociological Theories or Perspectives
- Tips for Writing Analytical Papers
- Writing for Sociology*
General Writing Tips
- Tips & Tools**
- Thesis Statements**
- Writing an Introduction**
- Avoiding Passive Voice**
- Fragments & Run-on Sentences*
- Writing Tips for Non-Native English Speakers***
- ASA Citations and Reference Lists***
- Academic Honesty/Plagiarism
* University of California, Berkely
**University of North Carolina Writing Center
***Purdue University Online Writing Lab