Undergraduate Academic Advising
Sociology is still open with online advising appointments and sessions Monday - Friday between 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM. To schedule an appointment, call us at 206-543-5396, visit Savery 203, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For support through COVID-19, check out our Undergraduate Resources - COVID-19 page.
This page is for Undergraduates. If you are seeking information on graduate advising as a PhD Graduate Student, go here.
The Sociology Advising Office offers individualized, professional academic counseling to UW’s diverse student population. Advisors serve current and prospective Sociology majors as well as transfer students at any stage of the transfer process. Our academic counselors regularly meet with majors and non-majors to assist in choosing a major field of study, making academic plans, and deciding on coursework. The Advising Office also works to connect students to campus resources (including tools and services for career preparation) and to learning opportunities outside the classroom.
If you are visiting Seattle or commuting from a significant distance, please make an appointment to meet with a Sociology Advisor in advance of your trip
Students may require advising for any of the following:
- Change of Major paperwork
- Course planning and academic counseling
- Graduation Applications
- NCAA paperwork
- A question regarding a degree requirement
- Adding or dropping a minor
- Non-Matriculated student forms
- Veterans Affairs paperwork
- Financial Aid related issues
- Registration Holds and Pre-Major Extensions
- CPT and OPT Applications
NOTE: If you are requesting a letter of support, allow a minimum of 48 hours for advisors to review and compose appropriate materials. CPT applications are likely to take longer.
Dropping Off Forms
Students should feel free to drop off the following items in our office:
- Independent Internship and Independent Study Forms (SOC 399 & SOC 499).
- New Major Applications (accepted every quarter, including summer)
- Study Abroad credit evaluations
- Double major add or drop forms
For credit evaluations, students must provide a syllabus and reading list for each course being reviewed. Allow at least 48 hours.