First Year Advisor
Upon matriculation, incoming graduate students are assigned first year advisor. Some students meet with their first year advisor regularly; some, very infrequently. The department asks faculty to initiate contact with their first year advisees at least once a quarter. The first year advisor and Graduate Program Coordinator serve as student's general advisors until MA Thesis Committee chair is appointed.
MA Thesis Committee Chair
As soon as possible, students should identify their MA advisor. The MA advisor serves as student's primary academic advisor for the MA degree, and chairs the MA Thesis committee. The MA advisor and chair should be selected by the student by the end of Spring Quarter of their first year in the program. If a student has not identified their MA advisor by the end of Fall Quarter of their second year in the program, he or she must submit an Advisor Update Form to the Graduate Program Assistant with the name of the faculty member who is currently advising them.
- The student asks the faculty member if he/she will be their MA Thesis Committee Chair.
- When the faculty member agrees to be the MA Thesis Committee Chair, the student submits a Petition to Appoint the MA Chair / Advisor Update Form to the Graduate Program Assistant with the name of the faculty member who will be serving as Chair. Submit this form as soon as the Chair has confirmed - do not wait to have completed the full committee.
- The Chair and a second reader make up the MA Thesis Committee.
- See MA Committee page for information on petitioning for appointment of the complete MA Committee Chair/Committee.
Chair of the Ph.D. Supervisory Committee
- Primary advisor after student enters the Ph.D. program
- See Ph.D. Supervisory Committee page for information on petitioning for appointment of the Ph.D. Supervisory Committee.