Read this entire page.
Consider printing it off, and checking things off as you complete them.
Be sure to pay attention to your emails until you are fully graduated. Email is the only way the Graduate School will communicate with you if there is something needed to complete the degree.
- All completion steps must be finished by the end of the last day of the quarter.
- Start right after your defense - don't expect to complete these steps in the last day in the last few hours.
- If you don't feel you will be able to meet the deadline, contact the Graduate Program Advisor (GPA) for options as soon as you realize this is a possibility.
Prepare Your Materials To Submit to the Graduate School and Department:
- Finish up all post-defense edits.
- Format for the Graduate School requirements
- The department uses the same guidelines as the Graduate School in general.
- Provide 1 inch margins for binding purposes.
- The Graduate School requires specific formatting for certain pages (Title Page, Copyright Page, Abstract page). Be sure to follow their formats.
- Key Graduate School Instruction Pages for Submitting your Thesis / Graduating Successfully
Committee Confirmation of Final Thesis:
- Have your committee email the GPA that the final version of your Thesis is ready to submit to the Graduate School, and to release the "Masters Supervisory Committee Approval Form" to you.
- The GPA will then send you a PDF copy of the signed form to you, to submit to the Graduate School.
Submit to Graduate School:
- Form: Submit your "Masters Supervisory Committee Approval Form" via ETD System
- Thesis: Submit the Graduate School copy of your final thesis via ETD System
- As of 08/2019, these are the things you must submit to the Graduate School However, be sure to check through the Graduate School web site pages listed above -- be sure to submit anything else that is required by the Graduate School that may have been added later.
Graduate School ETD Submission Confirmation:
- When you submit, the ETD System should change to a page view showing the summary of your order/submission, and indicating "Your Submission is now complete."
- PDF / Screen Shot this page!! Save and send to GPA
- Automated ETD Confirmation email should also be received.
- Save this email for your records
- Send a copy to the GPA for your file
- Items Already on File with the GPA:
- Warrant with original signatures
- Masters Supervisory Committee Approval Form
- Submit to the GPA:
- Send via email to the GPA
- Thesis: Submit a PDF copy of your full and complete final Thesis.
- Abstract: Submit a copy of just the title page plus abstract, ideally in Word.
- ETD Submitted Confirmation Email Copy to GPA: Forward a copy to the GPA for your file. This email will act as date and time stamp proof if ever needed.
- Key Words Form: A filled out copy of the department Website Submissions Key Words form
Students with Multiple Degree Codes - Additional Task:
- This applies if you have more than one degree, or doing an official Graduate Certificate of some kind
- E.g., a CSDE Certificate will require this step
- But the CSSS 'Certificate' as many call it, is not an actual Certificate. It is a concentration, and is not specifically on your transcript as a Certificate.
- Check with the GPA if you are not sure
- Coordinate with the GPA regarding submitting a highlighted transcript to the Graduate School
- The transcript needs to be highlighted in multiple colors as to which courses are going to which degree code; and which courses are being cross-counted to multiple degree codes.
- Coordinate re who will produce and submit this transcript to the Graduate School (you or the GPA)
- Make sure the GPA is aware of all applicable degree codes formally listed on your record
- Relevant Web Page: http://grad.uw.edu/policies-procedures/general-graduate-student-policies/concurrent-degree-graduation-requirements/
Post Submission Emails:
Keep watch on your email! Emails are the only way that things are communicated if the Graduate School needs you to edit something or is missing something.
Contact the Graduate School GEMS team for assistance to figure out what is missing or has been skipped!
- ETD Submission Received email when you successfully finish submitting your ETD submissions to the Graduate School
- If you need to do any revisions, an email from the Graduate School GEMS team indicating what needs to happen
- Thesis submission approved email from the Graduate School GEMS team
- Graduation Approval email from the Graduate School GEMS team
- Graduation Recorded email from the Registrar's Office
You will also see these emails, though these are not specifically about graduating the your degree:
- Thesis accepted and approved by ProQuest
- Thesis accepted and approved by the Library
- Thesis published by ProQuest
- Thesis published by the Library
Page Last Updated 08/11/2019.